Thursday, September 20, 2012

Catch-up...

Wow. The first month of this semester has flown by, and I feel like I'm only now starting to catch my breath. I've been intending to update this blog and send out an email update for a while. I would love to do so again soon when I'm able to be a bit more reflective, but in the meantime, I will just share some photos and quick points about the year so far!

 Although we're without a campus minister this year, it's pretty much been business as usual thanks to our fantastic Ministry Team. They have stepped up and taken a lot of leadership responsibility. Below, three of our seniors (Daniel, Nate, and Catherine) work our RUF table at the UT inVOLvement Fair. (how's that for wordplay? I must admit I was impressed.) We had a great crowd and passed out a lot of cups and brochures!























Large Group, our weekly meeting, has also started off well. In the absence of a campus minister, we have a rotation of local pastors and other campus ministers coming through and preaching for us each week. It's also been a huge blessing for our students to step and take a lot more responsibility for the Large Group logistics this year (setting up, hanging signs, keeping the supply box, cleaning up, running the powerpoint, etc.) which has freed me up to do a lot more talking and meeting new people!

Below, some of our leaders write name tags and greet students coming into Large Group.

 

































Our worship team, led by sophomore Evan Ford (far left), has also stepped up, practicing hard and learning a lot of music that is new for many of them. They are extremely talented, and we are very appreciative of their leadership!


And here, we see yours truly...for the past two years, I have had a very much "behind the scenes" role as it relates to Large Group (and I have been quite all right with that!). But this year, while we have guest preachers, I am responsible for giving the welcome each week. This started off as a challenge, not because I'm afraid of public speaking, but rather because trying to deliver a welcome and explaining RUF to a room full of veterans RUF'ers as well as visitors from a variety of backgrounds is a little daunting! It has been a great opportunity to learn to trust God, even when I'm not clear or don't say what I want to say. 





Aside from stepping up and getting some of the many Large Group chores done, our students have done a fantastic job of greeting and getting to know new students. With only 2 staff members, this is an absolute must practically, but it's also great from a community standpoint. It's so encouraging to see our students reaching out and creating a warm, welcoming atmosphere.
































































After our first two Large Groups, we had free ice cream in the amphitheater outside the building where we meet (Alumni Memorial), which just so happens to be in the imposing shadow of Neyland Stadium! What a view! (go vols!)






We have also been blessed to have the overwhelming support of Redeemer Church here in Knoxville. Many of the pastors are preaching for us in Large Group, one is leading an upperclassman small group, they are meeting with and providing pastoral care for both Catherine and me, and letting us use their facilities as much as needed. Below is a shot from the Welcome Back Student BBQ they hosted for us at the home of Pastor Paul Hahn...it drew a huge crowd! Free BBQ will do that, I guess!



























Another huge hit this year has been Giant Jenga...it's exactly what it sounds like. It's a craze that's sweeping the tailgating world, and RUF's around the country are following suit and getting their own sets made. We got our own too, and it's already seen plenty of use! Below are scenes from its inauguration at the Welcome Back BBQ.






































In addition to all of this, our small groups have also all gotten off the ground. I'm leading both Freshmen Guys and Sophomore Guys Bible studies, which has definitely been a challenge. Rewarding and fruitful...but challenging. Catherine and I are also responsible for planning and leading our Ministry Team meetings, which has been a humbling endeavor for sure. Thankfully, we are learning this is not about us, and God is accomplishing His purposes even through our weakness and inexperience.

And of course, amidst all of this, I am meeting with approximately 2 to 3 guys a day...catching up, hearing their stories, enouraging, listening, challenging, etc. and ultimately, trying to point them to Christ rather than myself. It's another reminder every day of my inability to fix brokenness. I can't even fix my own, let alone other people's! I'm learning what it means to be an instrument in the hands of the Redeemer, and to trust Him in all of these relationship.

Again, I hope to write more soon, with maybe a little more reflection and definitely some more prayer requests. But hopefully this will suffice for now! Please pray especially this weekend as I go camping with freshmen and sophomore guys, and for our big Fall Conference coming up in a few weeks.

Thanks and have a wonderful week! I'd love to hear from you...either check out the contact page above or shoot me an email at stephen.moss@ruf.org.

Stephen



1 comment:

  1. Wow. That sounds like a great start, and I completely understand the "just starting to catch my breath" feeling--me too! I hope the campout goes wonderfully this weekend! Enjoyed the update. :)

    ReplyDelete