Sunday, July 22, 2012

Living out the gospel on Lookout Mountain...

Taylor, Ryan, Cole, and Ben...some of our utk.ruf guys
working at Alpine Camp this summer.
I've heard a lot about a lot of different summer camps. Unfortunately, I was never interested in summer camp when I was younger, and I somehow missed the boat on being a camp counselor in college, so I have no first-hand experiences myself. I've also heard a lot about Alpine Camp for Boys. Whenever I heard guys talk about Alpine, it was almost with an sense of awe and reverence, which I at first mistook for pride and nostalgia. In addition to a few other camps (most notably Camp Vesper Point outside Chattanooga), Tennessee RUF usually sends a pretty good contingent of guys to work at Alpine each summer, and this summer was no different. We currently have 3 rising sophomores and 3 rising juniors serving as counselors, and 2 rising seniors serving as head counselors.

So on my way to Atlanta for RUF Staff Training this upcoming week, the good folks at Alpine were kind enough to let me stop by today for church, lunch, and an afternoon visit at their mountaintop camp just outside Mentone, AL. Even in just a few hours, I was able to get a taste of why this place is so special to so many guys.

I got there in time for church, which takes place in the open-air gymnasium. Sitting along the back row catching the summer breeze, we visitors watched the boys and counselors reverently file in by age group, while a bugler played some hymns in the background. The Alpine boys and counselors always wear all white to church, along with their camp neckercheifs. It was truly something to behold. Far from normal camp songs, a worship team made up of counselors led the congregation (mostly made up of 7-16 year-old boys) in a variety of hymns, a lot like what we sing in RUF. We also all recited a corporate confession of sin and the Lord's Prayer. Richard Vise, the RUF campus minister at Auburn, is serving as the Alpine camp minister this summer. He preached a phenomenal sermon, very accessible for the younger age groups, but packed with solid biblical truth...and the gospel. These kids were already hearing that the gospel isn't about just "trying to be good," but rather that Christ had already made them new creations, and that's why we obey.

And of course, there were plenty of camp traditions...from the song all the boys and counselors sang  by heart after lunch, to a whole variety of other quirks and customs that were very entertaining (if not a little confusing) to me as a visitor. It was clear, though, how much they meant to each boy and counselor there, and that was cool to see.

After lunch, during the camp rest hour, I was able to spend some time with our Tennessee RUF guys. They gave me a tour of the camp, introduced me to some of their fellow counselors, and told me all about their boys and the challenges that come with living with them in a cabin for a month at a time! It was so encouraging to hear their stories, and see how God is at work in each of their lives. They are exhausted, physically and mentally, but they are learning to die more and more to themselves and live more and more in Christ. They're learning that in order to love these boys, even when they're frustrated and tired and at their wits' end, they must rely solely on Christ, and believe the gospel that Christ died for them when they themselves were enemies.

I read an article a few months ago in World Magazine about camp counselors in general, but more specifically about counselors at Alpine. You can read it here: "The Marrying Kind" The name really says it all...ha! These guys are learning very important lessons that they will ultimately carry into their dating relationships, marriages, and parenting. They're learning more and more about the Bible and the gospel. They're also learning lessons about leadership, love, and service that they will be able to put into play immediately upon returning to campus in Knoxville.

I was very impressed with my visit to Alpine. Their gospel-centered approach to summer camp is not only changing the lives of young boys, but also transforming the lives of the college guys that work there every summer. I must admit, it's an experience I wish I had been able to have in college.

Ben (soph), John (senior, head counselor), Ryan (junior), Cole (junior), me, Cullen (soph), Weston (alumni, former counselor), and Davis (junior). Not pictured: Daniel (senior, head counselor) and Taylor (soph)
I'm really proud of our Alpine guys, but I'm also very proud of all our students and everything they're involved in this summer. We have guys working as counselors at Camp Vesper Point and Victory Ranch, girls working at Camp DeSoto (the girls equivalent to Alpine, also in Mentone). We have students involved in inner-city ministry in Memphis and Nashville, working as youth interns in churches, coaching swim teams, and doing overseas missions in places like Costa Rica, Haiti, and South Africa. (One of our rising sophomore guys, Luke, and his friend arranged their own mission trip to S. Africa, and connected themselves to a ministry over there. Their blog is at http://capetowntotennessee.blogspot.com/) I'm also proud of our students that are working in restaurants and offices and internships, or taking summer classes...as they learn to relate with people and glorify God in their workplaces.

Yes, I'm really proud of our Tennessee RUF students. And yes...I'm ready for them to be back in Knoxville!

Stay tuned for updates from RUF Staff Training this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment